Teaching & Pedagogy Workshops
Many schools have allocated a significant proportion of their development time and resources in recent years to addressing curriculum intent. As a result, a focus on quality first teaching, pedagogy and implementation is now being identified on many schools' action plans as the 'next step'. The Alliance is seeking to offer some support for this aspect of work, by drawing on the best available resources, and making these more accessible to both leaders and teachers.
Strongly influenced by the principle of 'for teachers, by teachers', the Swaledale Alliance is offering a series of workshops across the academic year.
Bookings are now being taken.
Based on the principles of Professor Rob Coe's 'Theory of Change', the following is being offered:
- two twilight sessions, for a minimum of two teachers per school, run by expert teachers from Key Stages 1/EYFS and 2. There will be a gap between the sessions to enable teachers to implement a taught principle in their school.
- the emphasis will be 'by teachers, for teachers' - practical classroom strategies that are rooted in research and able to be readily adopted. There will be signposting to further research, should teachers want to dig deeper, but this will not be the main emphasis.
Teaching & Pedagogy Workshop 1
Practical Classroom Strategies
Thursday 21st March & Thursday 20th June 2024, 4pm – 6pm
Thursday 21st March 2024
The first twilight will present an aspect of pedagogy development, based on an aspect of cognitive science chosen by participants and a selection of easy to adopt strategies to implement each of these in the classroom will be outlined.
Teachers will work in their pairs to discuss applying these approaches in their own schools to develop in their practice, and go away to trial some in their settings, discussing this with one another in the interim.
Delegates will be invited to put forward their preferred area of focus such as:
- Feedback in Action (to include AfL, Feedback Loops, Live Marking and Flexible Groupings)
- Cognitive Load Theory and Modelling
- Retrieval Practice and Knowledge Walls
Thursday 20th June 2024
The second twilight will then allow the teachers to come back together and feedback what worked well. An additional outcome may be the creation of a list of 'teacher recommended reads and strategies' which can be added to the Alliance website and shared with schools.
To ensure the programme is tailored to those attending, delegates will be asked to identify their preferred area of focus. Further workshops will follow to accommodate each area.
Swaledale Alliance Training Room, Brompton-on-Swale CE Primary School, DL10 7JW. Parking will be available onsite from 3.45pm.
Light refreshments will be provided.
Introductory Offer – Workshop 1
Swaledale Alliance Members - £50 per school (max two delegates)
Non Swaledale Alliance schools - £150 per school (max two delegates)
Please contact the Alliance if you would like more than two delegates to attend
Further workshops in the series will be charged at:
Swaledale Alliance Members - £90 per school
Non Swaledale Alliance schools - £270 per school
A cancellation fee will be applied.
Booking is essential, please email Margaret Thompson to confirm your school’s place.