Governor Training and Development
We offer a variety of programmes and network groups aimed at both existing and new Governors. To book a place or any further information, please contact on Margaret - firstname.lastname@example.org
All delegates must be booked onto courses to ensure that facilities/resources are adequate.
Chair of Governor Network
An opportunity for Chair of Governors to meet and discuss the current issues within schools.
Meetings Forthcoming Dates:
|Date||Time||Agenda / Notes|
|Wednesday, 12 May 2021||tbc|
Governor Training Programmes
New to School Governance Programme
This induction workshop has been developed for new governors and as a refresher for existing governors. The workshop uses an interactive approach to give you a good overview of how Governing Bodies organise their business.
The workshop considers the key roles of your Chair, Headteacher, Clerk and committees. It aims to provide you with the insights and the confidence to contribute effectively in your first year as a new governor. The content of this workshop has been prepared to reflect the regulations for maintained schools and the most recent Ofsted criteria used by Ofsted inspectors to judge the effectiveness of schools.
This workshop will help you to understand your Governing Body’s strategic roles:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Headteacher and Senior Leaders to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
This workshop is open to our partnership schools' new Governors plus Headteachers who are new to headship and Governors looking for refresher training.
This programme costs £35 per delegate, a charge will be made if a place is cancelled less than a week before the event.
|Tuesday, 11 May 2021||5 - 8pm|
Developing A Winning Team
Understanding what school leaders and governing bodies should expect from each other is essential to developing a supportive and professional relationship between both parties. With this foundation the school leadership team as a whole is able to make sharply focused operational and strategic decisions for the benefit of all pupils.
To support schools in developing a ‘Winning Team’ we have engaged Brian Beal who delivers a range of governor support programmes for Leeds Beckett and the Alliance ‘New to Governor’ sessions. He will facilitate a guided forum, aimed at Headteachers and Chairs of Governors - an opportunity to spend time considering the effectiveness of leadership and governance in their schools.
The objectives of the session are:
- To explore the respective roles of governance and management.
- To clarify best practice regarding the information that headteachers need to provide governing bodies with, and who is responsible for determining its content and format.
- To explore what a well-balanced professional relationship between the chair/governing body and the headteacher looks like, and how this can be sustained.
- To consider how the governing body can be supported and developed to ensure that its partnership with the headteacher is effective.
The cost per partnership schools is £50 (headteacher and Chair of Governors), a charge will be made if the place is cancelled less than a week before the event.
|Wednesday, 23 June 2021||5 - 8pm|
Effective Monitoring and Challenge
Further information to follow
Non partnership schools are welcome, please contact the Swaledale Alliance for further details and non-partnership prices.
For further information or to book your place on any of our programmes, please email Margaret - email@example.com